Are you tasked with coming up with a design for your company’s business sign? Creating an effective business sign isn’t as easy as you might think, and the importance of having a good logo design cannot be understated. Bad, or not thought out, signage can turn customers away before they ever cross your path. If customers don’t like your sign, they probably won’t give you their business. That might not seem fair, but it is true. The idea is to make your signage and brand work for you, not against you. Even successful business entrepreneurs struggle with the job of constructing a sign for their business that is both attractive and effective. Ineffective signs often share some common mistakes that can be easily avoided.
Here are five common mistakes you’ll want to avoid:
- Failure to plan. You may be familiar with the quote from Benjamin Franklin, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail”. The failure to plan for future changes in your business signage can be fatal. Most sign manufacturers can build special design features into your business sign that make it easy to make changes later. If you anticipate the need to make changes, have this conversation with your designer before you finalize your business sign.
- Bad design. Low cost design software has unfortunately led some business owners to think they can handle their own design needs. While it may work well for designing small ads for local papers or trade magazines, when it comes to designing a custom business sign, it’s best to leave it up to a professional design firm.
- Misspellings, typos, and wrong information. Have you ever cringed at a typo on a business sign? It happens far too often, and is a red flag to the public that you do not pay enough attention to detail. The good news is, your sign design company will send you a proof before the final sign is produced, but it’s up to you to proofread the copy and make sure it is precisely what you want. Once you sign off on the proof, the responsibility for the final product is on your shoulders, even if you failed to spot errors in the proof.
- Wrong size, color, and/or font. Be sure to think about the size of your sign when designing it. Do you want it to be legible from 100 feet (minimum letter height should be four inches) or 1000 feet (no less than 43 inches tall) away? When choosing a font, your best bet is to keep it clean; the less fancy, the more legible. Contrasting your letter color with the background color will enhance legibility, and help your message stand out.
- Wrong material. When considering the construction of your business sign, don’t go for the most expensive material, thinking it will be the best. Let your designer help you choose the material that will be the most cost effective for your needs, and also be the most durable for the conditions your sign will be exposed to. An outdoor sign will be subject to the changing weather, while an indoor lobby sign will be in a safer, more protected environment.
At Big Picture Graphics, we believe you deserve the best. Let our talented team help you design a professional business sign that promotes the image you want the public to see. We can give your custom business sign the precise look you want, and convey your unique brand message to your customers effectively, whether you want an indoor sign, outdoor sign, custom wall wrap, or vehicle wraps for your company cars. Give us a call today at (720) 881-3988 or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have, or to set up an appointment.